After a year in which I've had great difficulty starting projects, I've been overwhelmed of late with a desire to finish things. So I've decided to take some time this summer to work on a few shorter creative projects–things I can start and finish in a comparatively short amount of time—for my own sanity and artistic fulfillment. One thing I've been exploring is children's books. Another has been music.
While my piano skills have never really advanced beyond the step where you memorize Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge (...and what's that other one? Roy G. Biv, I believe), I do enjoyed tinkering about, finding chord progressions that appeal to me, etc. Recently, I've decided to take things a bit further and actually try writing some songs. It's been a fun challenge for me, and I've really enjoyed it. I've always wanted to be able to sit down at the piano and accompany myself, and I think it's pretty cool that I now can. The trickiest part for me has been figuring out how to turn chord progressions into something more interesting to hear—and yet not so complex that it proves too much for my unskilled fingers.
Thusfar, I've written three songs. This is the one that started my journey. Hope you enjoy.
Lyrics after the jump
STOP REHEARSING
by Bill Folman
Live for the moment, live for the day,
Easy to preach, easy to say.
But I'm a bird with short wings, who fancies sparkly, far things.
I forget to catch the view along the way.
I write with graphite, no ink yet today.
Fix each phrase just right, erase my mistakes away.
The clock ticks, the times tough, the hour late, my draft rough,
And I've got so much more I want to say.
Stop rehearsing. Stop your cursing. Make life while you can.
Stop rehearsing. Stop researching. Make life while you can.
Can't shake the feeling, I'll be back one day,
Retracing every step, except the ones that stray.
Now wise to every false truth, with energy of raw youth,
I'll play life in a pure and perfect way.
Stop rehearsing. Stop your reversing. Make life while you can.
Stop rehearsing. Stop rehearsing. Make life while you can.
Backspace Undo, Ready Set Go, and then I'll live with no regrets. (x4)
Don't forget the mission, just forget the plan.
Just forget lost choices, wonder if I can.
Wonder if someday I'll say, I meant to do with all this way.
May destiny make me an honest man.
Wonder if someday I'll say, I meant to do with all this way.
May destiny make me an honest man.
Stop rehearsing. Stop your searching. Make life while you can.
Stop rehearsing. Stop rehearsing. Make life while you can.
No comments:
Post a Comment