bump counter

 BabyFruit Ticker
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Week 17 Ultrasound Pics (or: Is it wrong to post pictures of my son's penis on the internet?)

At 16 weeks and 6 days old, this is what our fetus looks like:


We could see a spinal column and rib cage, and we could even hear a heartbeat. Cool stuff.

We were also told we might be able to determine the gender on this visit. Carin's regular doctor was in surgery yesterday, so we met with one of his partners instead, who told us, "Well, you can't really say for sure until 20 weeks, but let's check it out and see what we can see." She was clearly trying to hedge her bets, telling us that even if we saw something (or the lack of something), we might find out we were wrong in a few weeks. So, disclaimers aside, we looked. And it seems we saw ... well ... boy parts. See for yourself (and click for closer view):


Again, if you are confused by the image above, I've added some scribbles to clarify this strange upward view of our little one.


Assuming this gender diagnosis sticks, I'd like to officially apologize to my future son for putting pictures of his manly bits on the world wide web for all to see, and I'd like to tell him that generally, this is not a good practice for him to engage in. Do as I say, son, not as I do.

As for expecting a boy, we are surprised but very happy. We both had our money on girl--due, in large part to a few girl-related dreams and an uneducated hunch. But then, as future parents, I suppose we must learn to expect surprise. Our paradigm has shifted, but we are ready and enthusiastic. We've already received our first mohel recommendation. This is getting more real by the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment